Friday, August 1, 2008

Pirates Aboard Capaz!

Baker Family Pirates
The Pirates were aboard Capaz for the Thursday night race this week. You might have noticed
that there was a bit of rain on the statistically (according to Brad) driest day of the year, but we still all had a great time. We were joined by people from near (Ballard-vicinity: Rose and Scott) and far(Sequim and Winslow: the Hays and Gifford families, respectively). Ryan, Autumn, John and G-ma and G-pa were also on board to join in the fun. We had many pirates with and Captain Brad even brought along his wench (we'll see if we have any G-rated pictures of that one). There was wind for a few minutes after the start and to the leward mark. It eventually lightened up to almost nothing, but the final straw for hoisting the iron sail was that we must have gotten a little too close to the Fleet (in town for Seafair), because the Navy patrol boat with big guns on it waved us off. We proceeded to motor around the rest of the course and make up to the party while there was still plenty of really great food left (Palisades was the sponsor last night!!!!) There was a little more rain and wind for the return trip to Shilshole, but good company and warm drinks all around.
Those Giffords RRRRRRR Real Sailors
Again, we have decided to just stay on the boat after racing (good decision). The boys were finishing up camp at the Science Center downtown this morning and so we couldn't sleep in too late. Besides that, Brad and I needed to get the boat through the locks before we headed off to work. So, my day went like this: get the boys to camp downtown, drive to Ballard and drop the car off near Metler's slip (Friday night's destination), ride the bike to Shilshole, hop on Capaz and take her through the locks with Brad hoping the Seafair crowds wouldn't be too bad, get the boat secured in Metler's slip, go to work(whole other bunch of work related stuff), pick up kids downtown, pick up Brad work after long showing, back to boat at Metler's slip, make bank deposit, pick up gift for party, oops, then it all derailed and we had to switch to Plan B. How did such an action-packed, fun-filled day get derailed you might ask - well . . . . . . how 'bout the aft head blowing up? Yep, that will do it for your evening. We were getting ready to head to a friend's birthday party bbq and I went back to help one of the kids with the flushing process and I learned a very important lesson: Do NOT force the flushing process. The consequences are stinky and time consuming. Anyway, instead of a party (sorry, Wendy, but I am almost completely positive after 7 years of cruising that you understand!!!) we opted for a quick dinner on the boat and then some showers back at the house. We are sticking to it though, staying on the boat and starting fresh on finishing the windlass project and perhaps installing a new head in the morning before heading off to tomorrow's destination, beautiful Holmes Point, Kirkland!!!
More of the Crew

The FOREDECK is where all the action really is
The Adventure Continues . . . . .
The needed to end up back at Shilshole for our return on Sunday night. So, I drove out there and rode the bike back to the boat. After breakfast and some light cleaning, the boys got their respective reading done and I headed up to our gym (walking distance away from the moorage) for a quick workout. Brad worked on re-assembling the windlass. As was well until a fastener got over tightened and the power connection was broken. Luckily, we have the Gifford's to which we could raft. Bryce and I went up to the Salmon Bay Cafe for a blunch of eggs and toast and when we returned, it was just about time to set off for Kirkland. The bridge tenders didn't make us wait too long and the Blue Angels were doing their thing as we went from Portage out the cut into Lake Washington. Not bad seats for the show. The Giffords and Tolands caught up with us in their RIB dinghy (Canadian Naval surplus) on their way back from watching the Blue Angels. Capaz arrived at Holmes Point around 3:00 and rafted up to Totem. My crab dip was a hit and the barbecue was most exellent! Thank you Tolands and Lonergans for another great party. The kids pitched a tent in the yard and along with Niall told stories until the wee hours. I turned in fairly early after a s'more around the fire on the beach. I heard rumors of skinny-dipping led by my husband much later. Sunday ended up being a very nice day: sunny, but not too hot. On the advice of the guys at the locks, we tried to time our arrival just about the time of the end of the Blue Angels' main show. Totem followed Capaz on the hat trick trip from Holmes Point to Shilshole in almost exactly 2 hours. I describe this as a hat trick because we had 5 bridges to open and the locks. All four of the lake bridges opened right as we arrived - two of them we didn't even have to use the horn to request opening. Then, we drove right into the large lock and they did not fill it to capacity but we went right down. When we were about halfway down, the final railroad bridge opened. We exited the locks, went through and it closed behind us. The Giffords continued on to Eagle Harbor and we tied up in our slip at Shilshole just over two hours after leaving Kirkland!! Despite some challenges our first cruise into the Lake was fantastic. I am sure the good food, drink and company made the weekend!

Brad working on the windlass

Bryce, Austin and Niall

PJ Bryce Austin Brad and their Camp Tattoos

No comments: