Sunday, September 13, 2009
I realize that a huge part of this adventure is to NOT plan out every minute of our lives. Heck, we could have stayed in Seattle and kept doing THAT! However, we are supposed to be in San Diego by a certain time and we want to be able to take our time going down the California Coast with extra time to wait out any undesirable weather that may lie in our path.
When we looked a little closer at our options, a trip up the Delta seems not to be in our future. It would mean that we wouldn't have very many days of wiggle time. After sailing upwind the other day (in my house) for a couple of hours to get across the Bay. I am feeling like any upwind sailing should be avoided unless absolutely necessary.
With that in mind, we are not leaving the Bay Area tomorrow to start working our way down the coast, but rather waiting for more favorable (not on our nose) winds on Tuesday. We do have a plan, but it is a loose one. Though we are capable of making overnight passages, we are going to try to do most of the next chunk shorter passages with a couple of long days here and there. There are some points of interest along the coast where we would really like to stop and do a little exploring as we work our way toward San Diego and the start of the Baja Ha Ha.