147* 57.6' West
Hove to off of Rangiroa Atoll, Tuamotus, French Polynesia
July 16, 2010 (late)
We left the protection of the reef on the lee side of Tahiti about 5:00 on Thursday evening. We had dinner in the channel between Moorea and Tahiti and then it got rough. Some of us held on to dinner, some of did not. All in all, we were able to keep a semblance of watch schedule. During the night, the wind hovered around 30 knots with big seas. By mid-morning it had only come down to about 25 knots. The seas really aren't predicted to started abating until tomorrow morning. By then, we will be safely inside the atoll. We are currently hove to in the lee of Rangiroa. The passe that we will use to enter the atoll is around the corner to the east about 10 miles away. It is important to try to enter the atolls on the slack tide in daylight which will be around 8:00am, so we will get moving again from our holding position at about 5:00am.
Lydia and Lon are unsure if they are going to do any diving, but the Bakers are looking forward returning to snorkel on the reef that is just inside the Tiputu Passe. Lon will catch a flight back to Tahiti and then return to Seattle. Lydia will continue on with us on to Hawaii. We are hoping that the first part of this leg is NOT an indication of things to come.
radio email processed by SailMail
for information see: http://www.sailmail.com